Followers

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Class Poetry Response


http://katemcleodsblog.blogspot.com/



the Days that are the Nights by Kate McCloud puts imagery in your head along with alliteration and assonance to make the poem flow.  ‘

In the first stanza she writes a few things that are opposites and are impossible to do such as, “I have seen the days that are the night.”  It doesn’t make sense if we're realistically talking about it, but you understand what McCloud means by it.  Then she writes, “When the open closes up.”  Then she say’s “ Holding on to letting go.”  These lines are really cool and it's kind of mysterious.  The reader get’s a lot of imagery when they read some of the lines such as, “Asphalt black clouds,”  and, “Veins of smoke and Poison powder drop.”  There's also some alliteration with POison POwder.  The last line in that stanza is also cool because McCloud personifies light when she says “as the door slams and light runs away.”  In the third stanza she writes, "I wish I could run with light."  I read that line and kept going to the next, but then I paused and said wait and re-read that line again and thought about it because it was such a good line.  In the next line McCloud writes, "Visiting where the blue runs free."  Usually when writers use blue in their poems they use to represent depression or coldness, but here McCloud uses it to mean sunny or joy which I thought was interesting.  In the fourth stanza there is a lot of good metaphors such as,"The night is my waitress," and, "The shadows my kitchen."  There is also a simile with, "Burning like fires in memory."  It keeps going because there's also a internal rhyme with,  I walk and talk and despair."  In the fifth stanza there is some cool sounding alliteration, "I break them twice in two."  
This was a great poem by Ms. Kate McCloud and there was a lot of poetic writing I didn't point 1 out.  Too bad for McCloud the poetry business doesn't pay a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment