Followers

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Snow by e.e. cummings Respones

http://enothingblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/poem-of-day-snow-by-ee-cummings.html


This poem reminded me a lot of the falling leaf poem by e.e. cummings.  Not just because the poem is written like a puzzle, but because the snow falls like leaves do so there is a lot of indentations on both poems to represent falling.  I noticed some alliteration and rhymes when he says 'begin design descend"
and "tangles pangles"  I thought it was cool when he said "cruising whisper" because snow does kind of just cruise slowly and snow is so soft and small it is like a whisper.  I noticed in poetry poets will use sounds instead of objects for metaphors. I think this poem is written like this because one, it represents falling snowflakes and two because this poem is written very randomly and it's unpredictable and the way snow is formed is random and the way it falls is unpredictable too.  Another thing is that this poem is broken into so many pieces and when you put them all together its a big pile of snow.  There's random capital letters in this poem and when you put them together it forms the word "each." I'm not if that could mean anything or that it was even intentional.  A lot of poems have a meaning that you really have to look really hard to find.  I've read this poem over 20 times and I can't find any other meaning besides the way snow falls.  When translated you will also realize that this poem has more soft sounds than anything.  It makes the poem sound so much better when the sounds of the letters represent the topic too.  Snow isn't sharp or strong so why should the letters be?  I've looked up translations of this poem to see if I missed anything and it's interesting because every translation is different in someway.  And there's really no right or wrong.  Every translation I read the last line was "Glib scarcest among flowers"  I have no idea what that means.  I looked it up and I got no results.  Even one of the translators didn't know what it meant. I was thinking that it was saying the snow doesn't let the flower bloom, but that was just a wild guess. I guess this was all part of making the poem seem random just like snow itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment